• Parker Guide Service operates on Tongass National U.S. Forest Service Land under an Authorized Special Use Permit. Parker Guide Service is an equal opportunity provider and employer. There is no need to put in for a draw.  All hunts are allotted to us.
    • In Alaska, a license is required to participate in hunting and trapping; sport, commercial, and personal use fishing; and sport fish guiding or hunting guiding. A number of different licenses are available at different prices for residents, non-residents, members of the military, and residents who are Disabled Veterans or who are age 60 or older.
    • Parker Guide Service is a licensed vendor; however, licenses and permits need to be purchased and printed out online prior to the hunt. You can do this at the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game website;

    Southeast Alaska resides in the Tongass National Forest, the largest coastal rain forest in the US. The cities of Sitka, Juneau, Petersburg, Ketchikan, and Wrangell and the mainland are located on a series of islands located in what is known as Alaska’s Inside Passage. There are only two ways to get to these cities; by plane or by ferry.

    • Please arrive at the earliest time available the day before your scheduled hunt date. You will fly out to the yacht the afternoon before your hunt starts on an air charter out to the yacht. We will arrange for your flight and you pay them directly with cash, debit, or credit card.
    • The flight is not included in your hunt cost. Flight costs are based on a 185 Cessna,  Dehaviland Beaver, and Otter. Prices will vary between $200 - $800 one way —  depending upon on the number of passengers on board.
    • Fly between 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM on the day before your hunt date.
    • You will fly in & out of Sitka (SIT) for all bear hunts, and Juneau (JNU) for the Mountain Goat hunt. Alaska Airlines is our only year-round carrier, either via Anchorage or Seattle, either way it is about a 2-hour flight. Delta flies May through September. We recommend that you protect your hunt investment with travel insurance.

    Travel Planning for Your Alaska Hunt

    Most guests fly in two days before their hunt date, spend the night, and take a sea plane flight out to the boat the next day, the day before the hunt.  Alaska law states that you can’t fly and hunt on the same day. We will be setting up your air charter to the yacht and will be in contact with you prior to your arrival. Flights are always dependent on logistics like weather and where the boat is anchored. We plan on flying you out to the yacht sometime between 1-4 pm the day before your hunt starts. This allows you to go sightseeing and also gather up any last minute essentials that you might require.


    If you plan on purchasing alcohol, this can easily be purchased at this time. Please let us know if you are interested in any side tours such as a day fishing charter, spa treatments, nice restaurants in town, historical sites and local flair. We are happy to direct you in any way we can!


    Purchasing restricted tickets is not recommended, as your party may want to change your return date.


    Airlines that fly to Southeast Alaska:

    Alaska Airlines

    Alaska Air provides daily air service to Sitka, and the cities of Juneau and Ketchikan on comfortable 737’s. Alaska Airlines serves most major west coast cities and has new direct routes from Washington, D.C., Newark, N.J, and Boston, MA.

    It takes about 2 hours to fly to Southeast Alaska from Seattle. When flying into Sitka, there is usually a quick stop in Ketchikan or Juneau first.

    Delta Airlines

    Delta Airlines also provides service to Southeast Alaska during the summer months. See their website for details.

    Ferry to Southeast Alaska


    Alaska Marine Highway

    Alaska Marine Highway provides service to Southeast Alaska from the port of Bellingham, Washington. It can take 3-4 days to ride the ferry to Southeast Alaska. See their website for prices and schedules.

    Where to Stay in Sitka, Alaska

    There are many excellent bed and breakfasts, lodges, and hotels in Sitka, Alaska.  Here are some places we recommend.

    We also recommend you check out Sitka lodging on TripAdvisor.com.


    Where to Eat in Sitka, Alaska


    Find more Sitka Restaurants on TripAdvisor.com.


    What to Do in Sitka, Alaska

    Sitka, is one of the most historic places in Alaska. It was the site of the signing of the Alaska Purchase on October 18th, 1867, when Russia officially handed over the ownership of Alaska to the US.  Sitka was the first city, and the first state capitol of Alaska.

    Here are some other places to visit in Sitka:


    Also call us if you are interested in a fishing charter and we will get you lined up with fishermen who have been fishing these waters for several years.


    Places to Shop in Sitka, Alaska'


    What to Pack for your Alaska Hunting Trip

    The Inside Passage of Southeast Alaska, where you will be hunting, is an area surrounded by temperate rainforest.  It rains about 90 inches or more a year, and the temperatures in the summer can range from in the mid 40’s to the mid 60’s.   We will be hunting in lush forest land. You will be hunting on rocky shores, soft mountain meadows,   spongy muskegs and thick growth forest.


    Gear checklist

    • Below is our comprehensive list of what gear you need to bring on your Alaskan hunting trip.
    • Clothing: Bring layers of clothing such as t shirts, sweatshirts and jackets. You may want to bring a hat and gloves just in case.
    • Waterproof outerwear: Keep in mind that it may rain during part of your visit so you will want to have waterproof outerwear.
    • Waterproof hiking shoes or boots are a must.



    There are no refunds for licenses or tags once purchased.

    We will have your hunting tags onboard for you upon arrival. Please make sure that your information is correct and call us with any problems.



    Alaska Resident per AS 16.05.415(a): “resident” means a person (including an alien) who is physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinitely and make a home here, has maintained that person’s domicile in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license, and is not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country; a member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has been permanently stationed in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license; or a dependent of a resident member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has lived in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license. A person who does not otherwise qualify as a resident may not qualify by an interest in an Alaska business.


    Per AS 16.05.415(b): A person who establishes residency in the state in accordance with the residency provision above remains a resident during an absence from the state unless during the absence the person (1) establishes or claims residency in another state, territory, or country; or (2) performs an act, or is absent under circumstances, that are inconsistent with the intent required under the residency provision above.



    A person who does not meet Alaska residency requirements as outlined above and is a resident of the United States; or an alien who has maintained a permanent place of abode in the United States.


    Nonresident Alien:

    A person who is not a citizen of the United States nor has lived in the State of Alaska for the preceding 12 consecutive months.

    • US Nonresident annual hunting license $160
    • Non­resident alien annual hunting license $630

    U.S. Non­resident Fees:

    • Nonresident Brown/Grizzly Bear, $1000
    • Nonresident Black Bear, $450
    • Nonresident Goat, $600
    • Nonresident Wolf $60
    • Non-Resident Sitka Deer $300


    Alien Fees:

    • Nonresident Brown/Grizzly Bear Tag, $1300
    • Nonresident Black Bear Tag, $600
    • Nonresident Mountain Goat Tag, $800
    • Nonresident Wolf $100
    • Nonresident Sitka Deer $400

    • Alaska law states that any bear wounded and not recovered is considered your bag limit for that year.
    • Please practice your shooting before your hunt. Guns will be checked & sighted in upon arrival to the yacht.

    • We highly recommend Travel Insurance.
    • No hunt is held without a deposit.
    • A 50% deposit is required to book a hunt for the current year.
    • A 1⁄3 deposit is required for bookings made for a hunt one year in advance.
    • The second deposit up to 50% of your hunt cost is due December 1st before your hunt year.
    • All deposits are non­refundable unless a replacement is found for the same hunt date by the client, or if rebooked by us minus a 10% fee for costs incurred plus whatever discount is given to the new party to rebook the hunt.
    • The final 50% deposit is due 90 days before your hunt begins. No hunt will begin without proper payment or held without a deposit.
    • We do not take credit cards.


    • Travel to/from SIT or JNU.
    • Float plane charters to or from the Yacht.
    •  Alcoholic beverages (BYOB), gratuities, licenses & tag fees, and shipping of your trophy.
    • Rifles are available to rent for $300 — Per hunt Per Person.



    • All guiding & processing of trophy prior to the expediter of choice, and accommodations and meals while onboard.

    Spring Brown Bear Hunts

     Brown bears begin to emerge from their dens in the spring seeking food. The first thing to turn green in the spring in Southeast Alaska is the beach grass at the coastline so when the bears awaken they head straight to the beach to eat the fresh grass. This helps to know where to locate the bear for chances of a more successful hunt. Spring hunts can be enjoyed by hunters of almost any ability as they tend to be less physical than a fall hunt.

    Fall Brown Bear Hunts

    From August until late September, the brown bears will begin feasting on salmon in one of Southeastern Alaska’s thousands of salmon streams. This time of year, millions of salmon return to the springs to spawn. Brown bears feast on the high protein salmon to prepare for winter hibernation.


    Brown Bear Hunting License and Tags

    In order to hunt brown bear you must have an Alaskan hunting license, and the brown/grizzly bear tag. Parker Guide Service operates on Tongass National U.S. Forest Service Land under an Authorized Special Use Permit. There is no need to put in for a draw. All hunts are allotted to us. Please note, however, that many of our hunts are reserved a year in advance so plan early. License fees are in addition to the cost of your hunt with Parker Guide Service. You may purchase your license and tags through us.


    Basic Resident/Nonresident Brown Bear Hunting Rules

    Hunters who do not reside in Alaska have some more regulations to follow than those that are Alaskan residents.  (When you book an Alaska brown bear hunt or Alaskan black bear hunt with Parker Guide Service, we take care of these requirements for you.)

    • Nonresidents must also purchase a locking tag in addition to their license to hunt the brown/grizzly bear. Harvest tickets and permits may also be required. (Locking tags are generally not required for resident hunters.)
    • Nonresident brown/grizzly hunters must be accompanied by a resident relative with second degree of kindred, or by a guide/outfitter. (Parker Guide Service is permitted by the US Forest Service to accompany nonresident hunters.)
    • Nonresidents whom harvest a brown/grizzly bear and their guide/relative are both required to sign a sealing certificate or temporary sealing certificate.
    • You may not transport or export any untanned bear skin or skull from Alaska until it has been sealed.
    • You may not harvest a brown bear within a half a mile of garbage dumps or landfills. (This goes for both resident and nonresident hunters.)
    • You may not take brown bear cubs or sows with cubs. (This also goes for resident and nonresident hunters.) A cub is defined as a bear in its first or second year of life.
    • Legally a hunter can shoot only one brown/grizzly bear every four years, except for in select areas of Alaska where it is legal to harvest a grizzly bear every year. The season is more liberal in those areas because the bears are limiting the growth of the local moose or caribou populations.


    Brown Bear Sealing Requirements, Taking your bear out of Alaska.

    • All hides and trophies are cared for in a professional manner. Parker Guide Service will handle trophies to be sealed by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Trophies will be sent frozen to our expediter in Anchorage who prepares them for shipping —either dried or tanned— to your taxidermist of choice.
    • When hunting brown/grizzly bear you are required to salvage both the skull and hide of the bear killed anywhere in Alaska.
    • Evidence of sex (penis sheath or vulva) must remain attached to a brown/grizzly hide until the hide has been sealed.
    • Grizzlies from any location in Alaska must be sealed within 30 days of the date of kill.
    • You should bring the hide and skinned out skull to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game or to a registered sealer to be examined and sealed. They will pull a small tooth from the skull to obtain age information on your bear. It is important that at the time of sealing the skull is not frozen solid so the tooth can be pulled. If you are interested in learning how old your bear is you can call the Alaska Department of Fish and Game in late winter and they can tell you. They will need your name, location of the kill, and the date of kill. (Trophies will be frozen and shipped via Air Freight or Fed Ex overnight to our Expeditor in Anchorage, and once prepared and or tanned shipped to your taxidermist of choice.)
    • Any unprocessed bear hide shipped out of Alaska to another state will need an export tag. These tags can be obtained from any Alaska Department of Fish and Game office, post office or commercial shipper. To take a bear out of the United States you will need a federal CITES permit. These are found at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Fairbanks.
    • This is some information to help you to get started on your brown bear hunting adventures. For more information about brown bear hunting with Parker Guide Service specifically you can contact us directly by calling (907) 747-6026 or emailing us.


    It is important to note that this is in no way a substitute for the Alaska Hunting Regulations and that before you hunt you should look up more complete information. You can find detailed regulations in any of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game offices and at establishments that sell hunting licenses and tags.




    All hides and trophies are cared for in a professional manner and are sent frozen to Alaskan Expediters, Inc.,  in Anchorage via Alaska Air overnight air freight. Here they are tanned or expedited to your address of choice.


    They can be contacted at:



    You can trust Parker Guide Service with all your hide and trophy care needs.